Domestic Travel

  • Airlines require a health certificate and acclimation letter that must be certified by a veterinarian.
  • All health certificates require an exam by a veterinarian.
  • Minimum, pets must have a current rabies vaccination.
  • Typically, airlines require pet health certificates that are no older than 10 days, even if the receiving country accepts an older one.
  • Airline policies regarding other pets may vary; contact airlines directly for additional information.

 International Travel

  • Many countries require your pet to have an International Health Certificate (APHIS FORM 7001) to be completed by an APHIS-accredited veterinarian who certifies the pet’s health status.
  • Many countries require that the USDA endorse the International Health Certificate.
  • Certification requirements vary from country to country, so it is EXTREMELY IMPORTANT to contact that country’s consulate or embassy for information about any requirements that you must meet.
  • Pet owners need to be familiar with the country’s specific requirements before traveling to avoid possible pet quarantine.

General Tips

  • Begin planning your trip as early as possible.
  • Let your pet become accustomed to the crate before travel.
  • Put identification tags with an emergency phone number on your pet’s collar.
  • Print your name, pet’s name, and destination address clearly on the shipping crate.
  • Carry a photo of your pet with you.
  • Feed your pet just a light meal about six hours before travel.
  • Bring dry food along if the trip is long.
  • Do not tranquilize the animal.
  • Exercise your pet just before traveling.

Helpful Links

U.S. Department of State

Taking a Pet Overseas

U.S. Department of Agriculture (APHIS)

Pet Travel Resources Website

        Pet Relocation Services

        Chicago Pet Transport

American Airlines

United Airlines

Delta Airlines

US Airways

Southwest Airlines